Submission Deadline
18 Aug 2022 (Vol 45 , Iss 06 )

Upcoming Publication
31 Aug 2022 (Vol 45 , Iss 06 )

Journal ID : TMJ-20-11-2021-10817
Download [This article belongs to Volume - 44, Issue - 06]
Total View : 409

Title : HAEMATOLOGICAL CHANGES IN DIABETICS A Clinico-Haematological study

Abstract :

To assess the frequency and types of hematological abnormalities associated with diabetes mellitus (DM), and to define the relationship between these changes and the complications of DM. During a period of 6 months (October-2020 to March 2021), a total of 100 patients who were known cases of diabetes mellitus (15 patients type 1 DM and 85 patients type 2 DM) were studied while attending Al-Waffa Centre for endocrine disease and diabetes in Mosul city, they include 49 males and 51 females with an age ranged between 4-76 years. Clinical data including a full medical history and physical examination were registered a complete blood count, coagulation profile, serum iron and total iron binding capacity were performed for each patient. Anemia was the commonest hematological manifestation of complicated diabetes, it occurred in 36% of cases. Morphologically the anemia was normochromic normocytic in 77.8% of anemic cases, hypochromic microcytic in the remaining 22.2% of anemic cases. Most of the anemic patients were normoferraemic (72.2%) and hypoferraemia was found in 27.8% of anemic cases. Among the studied patients, 35 % were hyperferraemic, 10 % were hypoferraemic and 55 % were normoferraemic. Prothrombin time (PT) was normal in all the patients, shortened activated partial thromboplastin time (APTT) was found in 17% of cases and hyperfibrinogenemia was found in 40% of cases. Plasma D-dimer was negative in all the studied patients. The results of this study were statistically analyzed and compared with other studies. Anemia is the most frequent hematological complication of DM, its incidence is increased in diabetics suffering from renal failure (RF), diabetic neuropathy and infection. An increased incidence of vascular complications was found in patients with hyperfibrinogenemia and shortened APTT.

Full article
//